While many who love their skin skis make claims about their skis easily competing with waxable classic skis, we think that is a comment on poor waxing skills. Sure, skin skis are convenient, but competitive with a waxable ski? Not so much. Except that, skin skis are getting ever better, and besides convenience there's also that situation where one is skiing marathon distances when the waxing conditions are sure to change. Our suggestion for top skin ski performance is the Rossignol X-ium Premium R-Skin. This is a very fast skin ski in a variety of challenging wax conditions, and of note is that the overall handling is sure-footed and secure - perhaps one of the best XC race skis on hard and fast downhills. This does come at a price as the ski demands good skill. No, one does not have to kick like a mule, just kick with technically proper timing. The reward is high.
- Mohair skin insert has very low drag, and is replaceable when worn out
- Skis are individually tested, and fit recommendation is based on half body camber height appropriate for a skin ski
- 3 Edge Energy Sensor keeps tip and tail supple but keeps kick zone off the snow during glide phase
- Skin insert should last at least 100 days of skiing
- Image shows bindings for display only. Bindings not included